"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Friday 14 October 2011

Just a spoon full of sugar...

I was at the nursery last week, trying to buy some Aubergine seedlings.  (for some reason I am unable to get my seeds to produce seedlings?!)


Unfortunately, they didn't have any in stock yet, but, as I was leaving, I saw this on a stand next  to the cashier...


It a bottle that you hang in the garden and which provides sugar water for birds.
Instead of adding the sugar to water and then adding food colouring, I decided to add the sugar to a cup of rooibos tea LOL  I hope the birds like the rooibos flavour?!
A cup of tea for the birds, and one for me too :)
So here it is - hanging in a tree in the garden - just waiting to be sipped :)
But, I had a thought as I took that photo - the day I finally get a couple of chickens, if I enlarge the dispensing hole, perhaps I could provide water for the chickens using this method - that should keep the chicken food out of their water...!


And so I am going to be forced (LOL) to drink a bottle of wine, in order to get the bottle, and RMan is going to drill out the hole for me - the rest of the design I should be able to manage myself LOL  (I hope the chickens don't mind a bit of wine flavour when I re-use the cork?!)


And it's yet another way of recycling a glass bottle.

6 comments:

  1. Neat idea. You may have to do one or two more to improve on the design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chickens, how exciting. I like the wine bottle water dispenser idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John - Reckon I could probably quaff a couple more - all in the name of experimentation, naturally! LOL

    Mr H - That's the plan... Do you think that watering system would work with your chickens?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Empty wine bottle! That just means time to make more wine;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ideas like this. And really, is looks quite aesthetic hanging there, filled with lovely rooibos tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leigh - I reckon that 1/4 of the bottle has already been sipped by thirsty birds! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.