"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Tuesday 4 October 2011

Egg shell update

On the 22nd August I wrote about using egg shells to propagate seedlings.


Just thought I'd give you an update.


A couple of weeks ago I sowed beetroot seeds into egg shells and this is the result.


All I need to do now, is crack open the base of the shell in order to allow the roots to take a walk, place it in the soil, and then wait to harvest the beetroot in a couple of months.


i'll let you know if the cutworm can work their way through this obstacle...


But I reckon this works thus far :)

9 comments:

  1. Great use of a natural product. Even if it didn't work (which I am sure it will) you are still adding fertility to the soil. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane - Thanks - reckon it's working already :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what would happen if you just plant the entire thing, shell and all, in the ground. Maybe the beetroot would just break through naturally?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya - I'll try one for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see the little seedling emerging. I hope that works to keep the cut worms out. I have problems with them. this would be a good trick! Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily - I hope so too...

    Tanya - Will do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, you can't get much more natural than that.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr H - LOL - no, guess you can't :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.