"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Bird accomodation

MKid had a school project recently - he had to make a bird house using anything but wood.   Apart from my bird feeder bottle, I haven't given any thought to providing them with accomodation :)

So, that got me wondering, and when I wonder, I Google...

This is what I found.

Using a plastic milk bottle...
Bird house from a recycled plastic bottle
... here they used biscuits, but what about using a really stale hollowed out loaf of wholewheat bread - that way,the birds can have room service anytime they want :)...
Biscuit bird house
... a woven nest?...
Woven bird house
... a cardboard milk bottle...
Cardboard milk / juice
container bird house
 ... an old shoe...
Bird house from an old boot
 ... a cracked teapot - hey, I've got one of those :)...
I've got a cracked teapot which
will make a perfect bird house
... a hollowed out log of wood - yeah, I know it's out of wood, but it's not a fabricated one.
Hollowed out wooden log
bird house
Anyone got any other idea's?

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Joyful - They are, aren't they :) Personally, the old shoe is my favourite...

      Delete
  2. I like the shoe/boot idea. It is interesting and I wonder if our birds (wild) would like them nests too.

    Barb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb - If hanging a boot in a tree, instead of sending it to landfill, results in a bird making a nest in it, I reckon that it's worth a try :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.