"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Saturday 2 March 2013

Storage and working space

Time for another peek at the inside of our little farmhouse :)

When we originally started building on our farm, it was going to be a weekend place.  An escape from the rat race for a couple of days every so often.

Then the eco-friendly, self-sustainable bug hit me.  And RMan.  And the farm became a lifestyle choice.

So, my kitchen was planned to handle short visits.  With very limited storage.
This is what my kitchen storage
consisted of:
undercounter open shelves,
the island on wheels, and a
couple of wall mounted shelves.
Now who could store what in that?

I, therefore, had to make a plan.

And, in explaining my plan to RMan, I was assisted by this photo...
http://homesteadsurvival.blogspot.com/2012/08/
nice-office-out-of-wasted-space.html
Oh, doesn't that look nice!  It makes the orderly person inside me glow with delight.

In our situation it translates into...
Wasted space under the stairs, just crying out
to be used...
As you all know, we installed a staircase, to gain access to the upstairs bedrooms.  So, naturally, I'm using the space under the stairs as part of my bulk dry goods larder :)
Cramped, but better than nothing
It not as fancy as the first sample picture from 'homesteadsurvival' as we didn't have the floor space to have a long(er) staircase, and thus deeper understair cupboard (at a much sharper angle), but, well, we are on a farm.  And, with a bit of wood work, I think it's acceptable.
TaaDaa!  The staircase (with cupboard
area inside) as it looks today.
And our antique cupboard looks
perfect in front of it :)
I'm not complaining - at all :)

8 comments:

  1. What a transformation. Not only for the storage area, Dani, but the staining on the staircase, the window trim, the woodwork, etc. The raw structure in the first pic compared to the finished ... just lovely AND functional. Well done all. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris - Thanks, I know that the inside looks very cramped - it is. And the sharp angle of the stairs is a pest. But - it's STORAGE! LOL

      Delete
  2. Any extra space is good space! Great job, everything is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DFW - as I said, not ideal, but DEFINITELY better than nothing... :)

      Delete
  3. Very, very cool! I love hide-away spaces!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bee Girl - LOL - so do I. Just need to figure out a way to organise the restricted space better... :)

      Delete
  4. What a great looking room and the storage area is a wonderful use of space! I'd love to see photos after the storage space is organised though it may take a little while to ponder on the best system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn - Thanks. Yeah, the sharp angle of the slant is the main problem... But, I'll figure something out :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.