"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Saturday 21 May 2011

Off grid carbonated water and other ideas...

I'm always on the look out for eco-information on how to continue my lifestyle as though I had all the mod cons, available products and as though we were living on the grid.

I have just found this fantastic site full of such snippets of information - in fact they have some absolute gems!

The different sections which are covered on this site are: Food, Living, Outside, Play, Technology and Workshop

For instance, if, like me, you enjoy a spritzer (wine and soda) of an evening, then this may appeal to you:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/780462/carbonation_the_cheap_and_easy_way/
I always have vinegar and bicarbonate in my house (for cleaning, cooking, preverving and baking, so this is just up my street.  Soda (pop) bottles - I use them for homemade ginger beer, so that's a breeze LOL  Carbonated water at a fraction of the cost!


For a simple room spray, that uses an old spray / perfume spray bottle, and a few  of your home grown lemons / oranges / limes and some (of your precious?) vodka go to: http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-Citrusy-Room-and-Linen-Spray/

This site even has 30 Uses for Aluminium Foil - some are good, some are downright ridiculous LOL

http://www.instructables.com/id/Thirty-Unusual-Uses-for-Aluminum-Foil/

And, if you should want to build an aquaponic strawberry tower, this looks like quite a cool idea:


http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Build-Your-Own-Strawberry-Tower/

Or, if you have access to empty milk / bottle crates (I'm thinking those in Terlingua might be able to use this idea):


http://www.instructables.com/id/Milk-Crate-Air-Pot-Square-Foot-Urban-Container-G/

Or finally, how about this idea:


http://www.instructables.com/id/Natural-Wood-Raised-Garden/

A perfect way to use all those thin branches when you don't have a wood fired stove or barbecue :-)  I can see this working brilliantly with the wood from the black wattle trees which are abundant in our area.

There are literally thousand of pages / ideas on this site, and could fill many happy hours of web browsing, when you have the time.  Would love to know what ideas you come across that appeal to you... (and a hint - when you've had enough browsing for one day, but aren't finished the section yet, save that particular page to Google favourites - that way you won't have to go through pages and pages to find out where you left off, like I did...!)

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link. Looks like a good place to spend some time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh tffnguy - trust me - I've been there for 4 hours already...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link also...Looks pretty cool. I went ahead and saved it to my favorites too. This could take awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tami - it takes a while...

    Thank goodness rugby on the TV is keeping RMan busy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant wait to get some time to browse through there. My husband loves soda water so maybe a homemade batch is in order, Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane - you're welcome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. web site Vs rugby......rugby gets my vote!

    any 'save the world' site that mentions the word bleach is automatically disqualified :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wickets - you and RMan LOL

    "Save the World" site + Bleach?

    ReplyDelete
  9. neat video. Also, you use a different ginger beer recipe than I do. I will try yours soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.