"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Monday 3 November 2014

There's nothing nicer...

... than the smell of dust, and then wet ground, as long awaited rain begins to fall...
Wet, wet, wet :)  It's just started raining
Our dam level is very low, and we've had below average rainfall this past winter.
The dam level is very low, but not too low
for the ducks to have a waddle.  They've
taken over the dam in the past weeks -
which is exactly where they should be :)
I have a feeling that this gully is going
to be deepened with the gorgeous heavy
rain which is falling as I type :)
With the 30 - 40mm of rain which is predicted over the next day or so, all the plants and trees will get a good soaking, the grass in the paddock will be allowed to sprout and provide feed for the alpaca's, the rain tanks, which are all less than 1/4 full, will be filled, and the air (and solar panels) will be cleaned and refreshed.

Thank God for some rain :)

8 comments:

  1. Dani - 2 naked canadians are rain dancing and sending you as much rain as you need! much love!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kymber - RMan and I had a good laugh - thanks :)

      Delete
  2. The Western part of the U.S. is having a severe drought. We are doing ok here, and I'm glad you are getting some rain there. Sounds like you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani, as soon as I saw "nothing nicer," I thought, "It must be raining!" Because the weather we are hoping for - whatever that may be - is always such a joyful thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinn - I know one needs sun for the Vitamin D and for photosynthesis, but if we don't have water, we wouldn't have a need for anything else :) 50mms so far - what a relief :)

      Delete
  4. I know how you feel about rain. October is usually a dry month for us, but it's also a fall planting month. I have two pasture areas planted in forage seed plus a patch of winter wheat, so I'm hoping and praying for just the right amount of rain to get it all growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - It wouldn't have been so bad if we'd had our normal winter rainfall, but, sadly, that was below average this year.

      I hope you get the rain you need for your forage - RMan's first attempt at sowing oats was not successful.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.