"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Saturday 2 November 2013

Welcome and an anniversary surprise


Please join me in welcoming a new follower, Olivia Maynard, a newbie blogger.
Her profile states: "I was born and raised in Chesapeake, Virginia. When I was young it was full of Mennonite farms and simple living. By the time my kids started school it was a mad suburban city-in-the-making. Three years ago my husband and I brought our 3 children to Buckingham County, Va to make a better life for our family. I love the change, the peace, and the road to self-sufficiency."


Olivia's bog can be found at: http://shadygrovehomestead.blogspot.com/


---------------------------------
Thank you all for your good wishes for our anniversary yesterday.  Apart from an unplanned visit to the dentist, it was an excellent day :) 
We placed three of the five rose bushes we
purchased by the wall / steps leading up to the
garage - right next to the waste water pipe from
my washing mashine.  Seems like the roses love
the eco-friendly laundry soap I use - they are
certainly thriving.
A few months ago RMan went all feminine on me - he insisted that he wanted rose bushes???!?!?  RMan?  Just shows that you can never get too complacent with the person you're sharing your life with - they can, and will, surprise you.
I am not a fan of buying or receiving cut flowers -
firstly the waste that occurs, plus the transport
involved in getting them to the retail outlets, and
finally the flowers just don't last.
The fact that RMan took the time to conceive,
search out and make this arrangement was, to me, as
incredible as the combination that he put together.
I love it :)
The "rose and candle" holder is left-over
from a wood business we dabbled in many years ago,
and which he took the time to repurpose  - and
trust me - RMan had to really search the place we
call a garage, as it is, in fact, a mess of boxes
and chaos - it's storing all of Natasha & Wayne's
goods until their house is built...
Seems he had an ulterior motive.  The rose bushes provided him with the perfect anniversary gift - and all it took was a little bit of thought on his side, and there you go - the most incredible table arrangement.  I was competelly bowled over.

The fact that this macho male I call my best friend and husband took the time to put this together - completely took my breath away.

Just shows you - you think you know someone, but they still have the ability to surprise you...:)  And I wasn't asked once "Where can he find... " LOL

S'funny isn't it how the simplest things in life can give such incredible enjoyment.

13 comments:

  1. Happy happy anniversary! That Rman sure is just full of surprises. And, if we ask him, I bet we'd find out that you, too, are full of surprises, Dani. You 2 sure make a great couple. Love the roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris - Thanks :) The roses are gorgeous, aren't they :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your anniversary. It's always nice to look back over the years and realize that they've been good ones.

    The roses were a good idea. Your husband has imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry - Thanks. Yes, they have been good ones - a couple of "otherwise" ones, but that makes the good ones better, doesn't it :)

      Delete
  3. What a thoughtful gift. Love it. Happy Anniversary to you both and may you have many more in your ever-growing paradise. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1st Man - I ove it too. Am sitting staring at them while I work on the laptop...

      Thank you, and thank you :)

      Delete
  4. Happy (slightly belated) anniversary. What a lovely present and surprise for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moonwaves - Thank you :)

      It was - it was indeed... :)

      Delete
  5. Olivia - You're very welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a little late but I wanted to wish you a Happy Belated Anniversary.

    Sometimes men do surprise us...sounds like you have a real keeper in yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MsBelinda - Many thanks - it was an excellent day :) Yeah, RMan's got his good points... :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.