"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Monday 22 August 2011

Eggcellent

Another eco-friendly form of pest control?


Break open an egg shell...
Try and break it as close as possible to the top of the shell - I didn't this time...
Fill the egg shell with some seedling mix, add your seed (tomato in this instance) and cover with some more seedling mix.  Water well.
As it grows I will naturally make a hole / smash a crack in the base of the shell, so that the roots can spread into the larger container it will then be housed in.  Using the egg shell as a seedling "pot" should ensure that it also gets a dose of calcium as it's growing :)


But I'm thinking - this may also be eggcellent cutworm deterrent.  I'll just have to ensure I break the shell nearer the top of the egg, and that I have at least 1 cm (1/2 ") of the egg shell sticking above ground when it comes time to plant the seedling in the veggie patch.


Happy days :) 

19 comments:

  1. What a cute and practical idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea...I usually use egg cartons for starting my seeds, but I am willing to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya - It's certainly another way of adding egg shells to your soil LOL

    Tania - Watch this space for updates... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I NEVER would have thought of that! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea - can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tami - LOL - let's see if it works...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool idea! I've used the egg cartons, but never the shells.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your varmints.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Garden Girl - Well it's one use for those egg shells :)

    Denese - Happy experimenting

    Frann - Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine - Never mind all my ducks in a row - I'm going to have all my eggs in a row LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea - a cutworm deterrent! Very clever!! I hope my loo rolls work as well. Will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Darn good idea - let us know if it works against those darn worms :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo hoo! I'm back online after 2 weeks of broken network card!

    Very good idea about the egg shells. I'll be interested in how well they work. May help against slugs too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barbie - I'm hoping it works...:)

    Slowvelder - Will do

    Leigh - Welcome back - I am also having hiccups. I will let you all know if they work and how well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dani - what a great idea. I always save my shells and crunch them up and work them into the soil around things like zucchini. But if this would help with cutworms - A++! Emily

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emily - Thanks :) I also used to crush up my shells for the compost - but with all things it helps if, now and then, one thinks laterally.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.