"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Saturday 25 February 2017

Summer, spring, autumn, winter?

What's going on?
Funnel cloud - Suurbraak end January 2017
Back at the end of January, one of our neighbours, Rogan, took this pic of a funnel cloud near Suurbraak.  We don't usually get tornado's here. 

But, I have never seen this before.  Ever.  I harvested the last of our pears and whilst I was toddling round the fruit orchard, I noticed something strange.  Something completely out of the ordinary.
Mid-February and the apple trees are producing blossoms - again?
As you can see from the pic above, I have apples (albeit, due to the extreme heat we've had, they are small ones) growing on my apple trees.

Then, last week, I noticed that the apple trees were producing blossoms.  Again???
Not just one blossom, but blossoms all over the tree...
 Whaaaaat????
Another type of apple - and it's also producing apple
 blossoms - in February???
If the trees are confused, where should that leave us humans?

From what I understand, apple trees need cold winters to produce blossoms.  We have had anything but cold weather here this summer.  Plus, March is the beginning of autumn, how can the apple trees be producing spring blossoms in the middle of February?

 ~ Sigh~ and there will still be naysayers who deny that climate change / global warming is a reality.

The major dams supplying water to Cape Town have enough water left for roughly 80 days.  The Cape Town municipality has started reducing the flow rate of potable water in order to keep a supply of water available to the residents of that town and Level 3b water restrictions are in place.

On a bigger scale Nasa is monitoring the imminent breakaway of Larsen C ice shelf in Antarctica - due, they say, to warmer oceans.  Plus they are measuring increased temperatures in Antarctica itself which have measured 2.8oC (5oF) warmer than normal.

Supposed First World leaders are in denial.  Normal people are in denial.

Don't let the naysayers influence you.

Prepare yourselves for a very different future.

The signs are everywhere.

Just saying...







For info on how you can obtain your own Foothills DryAway solar / wind food dehydrator please click the link.

6 comments:

  1. I heartily agree.
    I have no clue how someone can deny that our climate is going wonky.
    Of course, if world leaders ADMITTED IT--there might be panic.
    I don't know. What I DO know is I am trying my darndest to stay well ahead of the pack in stockpiling, preparing, and also learning new ways to deal with this.
    Very very disturbing about your apple trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue - As you say, world leaders NEED to admit it.

      Personally, I'd like to be warned - there is so much one must, and can, do to mitigate the effects of global warming, BUT they need to be warned NOW! And action must be taken even quicker.

      I think the reason that the world leaders are not bringing it to the forefront is because it will affect their bottom line - the ongoing, and increasing use, and sale, of fossil fuels - in all their forms. There is far too much revenue (and political "strength / power") from the sale of those.

      Unfortunately, as much as stockpiling (especially of home preserves) will definitely help, what is going to be the root of all evil, and probably the cause of the next world war, is the lack of water... We all need to take steps to ensure that we have some way to grow and produce our crops - under increasingly extreme circumstances. And, I reckon, be more selective of what we grow, focusing more on essentials, and not the smorgasbord that we now all enjoy.

      If you think about it, we all plant and grow a fairly comprehensive selection of goods, whereas those in deepest, darkest (world wide) tend to focus mainly on only one or two crops (i.e. high protein crops such as maize or rice) and growing them plentifully, in order to maintain some semblance of life. Any additional crop would be carefully selected along the realms of a companion plant to add variety to the plate / taste / body requirements.

      Following that last statement, I am, in future, going to be very selective of what I grow, and how much of it I grow... ;)

      Delete
  2. Millet?
    Better nutrition than rice, and being from Africa, it is able to deal with hot and dry.
    My new favourite (but mine is bought)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana - Now, that is a good idea :) I love millet too...

      Delete
  3. Dani, I'm reading about the hectic fire your way. I hope you're all OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pqsa - Was a tad hairy here for a while, but yeah, thanks, we're all OK ;) Blog post with detail forthcoming...

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.