"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Sunday 21 November 2010

Ginger (zingiber officinale) update


Since my posting on 31/10/2010 my ginger plant has been coming along nicely on my kitchen nursery windowsill.

It now looks like this - and will be potted on this coming week.




It now has enough roots, so I shouldn't lose this one :-)

It's taken a while though - I suspended them just touching the water around the beginning of September this year!

Yummy - my own ginger next year.

5 comments:

  1. Loquat is for cough and lung in Chinese medicine. Sometimes i would take the Ninjiom Pei Pa Koa which is an extract of loquat when got sore throat.

    You can access info online @
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nin_Jiom_Pei_Pa_Koa
    ninjiom.50webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I've wanted to grow ginger and even tried once, no success. I haven't seen it done this way, but would love to be able to grow my own. Will you have to keep it inside during winter? Or a greenhouse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh - we don't have such severe winters in Cape Town, so no, I won't have to bring it indoors. You may well have to in the northern hemisphere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful! I'm definitely gonna have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ezra - never thought I'd get ginger to grow - tried so many times by placing it straight into soil. This way is definitely a winner :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.