"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Saturday 18 December 2021

Re-usable jam tins

The mousebirds have decimated the fruit on my trees this year, so this week I had to pop into the supermarket to buy a tin of jam.

Looking at all the jars and tis of jam, I spied this...

Tin with ring pull, and re-sealable, re-usable lid


A tin of Rhodes jam with a re-usable lid.

Wonderful!

Yes, the lid is plastic, but it is really well fitting and will allow for the tin to be re-used for a myriad of times - until the lid deteriorates. 

Button, screws, beans, seeds...  And if one had to pierce that lid with tiny holes, the it could even be used for sprouting seeds.

Well done, Rhodes.  You thought outside the box.



2 comments:

  1. That is certainly a good idea. Sadly I don't eat jam
    I do eat fruit but again have to be careful of stone fruits. Jane's delicious garden facebook does a post on how she shares her fruit with the birds and how she collects and cooks the plums. Maybe her birds aren't as greedy but I think it's because she collects them daily. Hopefully you'll have better luck next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleanor - I have that book and agree. Problem is this year the wretched mousebirds left me the tithe...

      Between our Ridgeback / Border Collies cross, and the birds - both helping themselves, this year was a disaster. Yes the RB / BC cross loves fruit and happily helps herself to low hanging goodies - and even berries off prickly vines...

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.