"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Monday 29 January 2018

LOA

I will be taking a leave of absense from this blog.  I have started another blog to help the residents of Cape Town who are about to hit Day Zero.  

Day Zero is when the 5 dams which supply Cape Town hit a collective total of 13.5%.

It is the day when level 7 water restrictions take effect and when everyone within the Cape Town metropole is limited to 25 ltrs (+/- 6 gallons) of water / person / day.  That 25 lts must include what they need for drinking (hydration), food prep, hygiene, cleaning, laundry, pets, etc and also covers what they use at the gym school and workplace...

It is no mean feat.

Day Zero is currently expected to hit on 12 April 2018.  Should weather conditions remain hot and windy, evapouration will bring that date forward.

All the hints and tips I'm sharing on this new blog are from the members of the Water Shedding Western Cape facebook page.

Having them all in one place, makes them easier to access - and removes the negative, complaining posts that tend to abound in public forums / facebook groups.

Necessity is certainly the mother of invention!!  I'm blown away with the amazingly innovative ways that people have come up with to reduce their water usage.

You're welcome to join in - you never know, one day you too may need some assistance, or idea's on how to live with 25 ltrs / person / day...

https://wswchintstips.blogspot.co.za/

24 comments:

  1. We'll be thinking of you Dani, hoping this drought breaks soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing the rain dance for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed here for a downpour there.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dani. Hadn't tried to comment here but looks like it will work. Will miss reading here but i know your doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do what you have to do. And yes, it's valuable info for anyone who might someday go through this. With the way the climate is changing, who knows what the future will hold for any of us when it comes to changes in our weather.

    In the meantime, I'll keep asking the Universe to send water!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cassie - Welcome - thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you. Yeah, the drought is causing havoc. They have now stopped all water to farmers in the area :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mum - Thanks. Apparently we'll need at least 3 very wet winters to sort out the long lasting effects of the drought / get our dam water supply back to normal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marlin - Thanks for checking it out. Don't worry - I'll be back to waffle on... :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1st Man - I search everywhere for hints and tips to share with the Cape Tonians - nada on Google. So, I had to share what they're doing and adding a blog seemed the logical solution. The Western Cape Water Shedders seem to have embraced the site too :D

    Hopefully, other people, world wide, will find some useful hiints or tuips on the net when they need them...

    Thanks for your prayers - you're a star!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will be thinking of you. I hope get the start of some decent rain soon. Sending best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  11. I watched a news segment on this recently. Some official was saying people are cheating on the water distribution and the situation is consequently worse than the media is saying. Good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shirley - Thank you. Unfortunately the weather forecasters have said it will be a dry autumn. Let's see...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Harry - Actually, apart from the lack of rain, it also all boils down to the General Election in 2019. It would seem that the Department of Water & Sanitation is shortsighted and "tardy" in their forward planning and reponse to this disaster. Especially when it pertains to those municipalities / provinces which are run by the opposition...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish you well and am praying for rain for all the residents of Cape Town and the wider region.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jane - Welcome and thnk you for taking the time to leave a comment.

    Thank you - any - and ALL - prayers are welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck with the LOA. As a cape town based steader, I am quite concerned about the rain myself. Don't be away too long!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marlon - I won't be away any longer than necessary ;) If you would like some hints and tips on how to survive on less water, don't forget to visit the Hints & Tips blog :D

    https://wswchintstips.blogspot.co.za/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dani...I hope you see this. I was happy to see a new post pop up after so long. I was saddened beyond words to read it. I just can't even imagine what you are going through. Please know 2nd Man and I are sending love and light to you during this so difficult time.

    Hugs from across the miles...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dani, I'm visiting blogs I haven't been to in awhile and was absolutely shocked to see your most recent post. I am so, so sorry to learn this heartbreaking news. You all have truly been an inspiration to me, because even though we're in different parts of the world, we have similar goals and similar challenges reaching them! Please know my prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Leigh - I think I'm slowly beginning to tread water. It's been a long process though.

      Delete
  20. Hello , I was wondering how you are ? You,ve been through a very sad time ..so sorry .
    You say that you have a new blog ...can you give me the link to it please ?
    Wishing you well . Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daisy Debs. I ceased to post to that blog but it can be found here: https://wswchintstips.blogspot.com/

      FB wouldn't allow sharing of water saving tips and images posted on their site, so it became a bit pointless.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.