"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Sunday 20 March 2016

Dried pineapple sage

Just before I took possession of my Foothills DryAway I was standing at the kitchen stable door staring out into our back garden - daydreaming.

A movement caught my eye, and, re-focusing my eyes, I spied this beauty on the pineapple sage plant which stand at the entrance to my covered veggie patch.
It was a spectacular Southern Double-Collared Sunbird.
If you click on the image you'll see that the
  Southern Double Collared Sunbiords beak is deeply
 embedded into the pineapple sage flower
He was the reason that I thought to shove an armful of pineapple sage into the DryAway
At the end of the day the armful had reduced down to a cereal bowl full, and...

...30 grams of dried pineapple sage will soon be on it's way to a very special person.  Who can that be...?  ;)

10 comments:

  1. Now you have me wanting to plant some of this wonderful sage, I can almost smell it. :-)

    Great photos ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FlowerLady - It really is the most amazing smell. Not quite as prominent when it is dry, but fresh - heavenly :)

      Delete
    2. I don't have flowers on mine. They do smell wonderful

      Delete
    3. Unknown - My plants only get flowers in mid-to-late summer :)

      Delete
  2. Pineapple sage sounds interesting will have to look up that one, stunning looking bird I guess its only small as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn - It has the most amazing pineapple smell - seems really odd sniffing the crushed leaves, and then looking at what you're holding. Goes against the grain somehow. But, delicious anyway lol

      Yeah - it's a very very tiny bird.

      Delete
  3. i sure do hope it's for me - and if not - i sure do hope that you'll feel guilted into sending me some - bahahahahah! how about a seed swap? is there something we have that you might like? i have lupin seeds, comfrey seeds and sunchoke seeds all of which grow in our dry, rocky soil on their own and i never water them at all. i'd swap any/all of those for some pineapple sage seeds!

    that bird is gorgeous!!! sending muhc love! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kymber, kymber, kymber - I just don;t know... You'll just have to wait and see if anything arrives...

      Delete
  4. I often wondered how the sunbirds were able to get to the nectar in a hibiscus flower, the petals are too fragile to support their weight. Ding! They sit on the stem and burrow in the back way between the petals, clever little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pqsa - I haven;t noticed that - very observant of you :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.