"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Sunday 5 August 2012

My first (and only) pumpkin thus far...

When DD was here for 4 - 5 days in June she spied my one-and-only home grown pumpkin, which I hadn't cooked yet.


And she had a brilliant recipe for it.


Basically, you carefully cut a hole in the top of the pumpkin (where the balance of the stem remains).  Then you scoop out the pip area, plus a bit of the flesh.  Reserve both - the pips - for planting next season - and the flesh, which will go back into the hollow with the other vegetables.
After you have peeled and chopped up a selection of vegetables, add a bit of grated cheese (feta, cheddar, whatever) and a knob or two of butter, season, and stuff into the cavity you have created.   Then pop the "lid" back on top.
We used chopped zuccini, yellow and red peppers,
cauliflower, broccoli and sweet potatoes to
stuff the pumpkin
Place the stuffed pumpkin into a casserole dish (to catch any juices) and pop in the oven.  Allow the pumpkin to cook until it is tender when you insert a knife (which in the Dover took about 3 1/2 - 4 hours).
We cooked the stuffed pumpkin in the Dover stove,
which is heated from the top - thus the "burnt"
appearance round the opening
We ate it with a pot of fresh macaroni cheese - yummy - it didn't last long. :)
Now - all I need is to grow more pumpkins this year - many, many more.  Eating home grown vegetables is completely addictive.  I really feel for those who don't have the space or the confidence to do so.

14 comments:

  1. Yum Dani - that sounds amazing. We felt pumpkin poor this season. Despite pumpkin vines everywhere, we only harvested 10 (with three more hidden in the grass that were hollowed out by clever rats for the seeds). Seven are sitting in front of me as I write and the others have already become pumpkin soup. But I'll have to try your recipe.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sandy - T'was delicious. :) Just be warned - it does take a while to cook - especially the filling. But - it's worth it :)

      Delete
  2. That looks really good! I'll keep it in mind for this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! What a great use of a bunch of fresh veggies. Thank you for the idea, it looks delicious and best of all, it's totally healthy. You know what would be great too, is if you grew some more smaller type pumpkins, to make individual ones for each person. Of course as good as that looks, I think I could have put quite the dent in that big one all by myself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1st Man - You're very welcome :)

      Reckon one could also do it with butternut too - that way, using small butternuts, one could make individual portions? :)

      Delete
  4. Dani - oh my goodness that looks delicious! i can't wait to try it!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kymber - It was :) You could also try it with squash and butternut - maybe add a sprinkling of nutmeg to the butternut one... :)

      Delete
  5. To get the best out of your garden, delay all sowing until after the new moon in October starting with herbs and roots like potatoes, turnips and carrots. http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/signs.html
    http://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/moon-phases/

    I am working on a calander for the southern hemisphere that I will send to you if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brat - October is a little late to "start" planting, isn't it - especially things like pumpkins, etc. Yeah, would love one of your calendars - please :)

      Delete
    2. There is nothing to say you cannot start earlier but the premis is that you will get better yields if you plant at the right time. I guess if you start late you might have to starve for a while (or visit the local veggie market.)

      Delete
    3. Anonymous - I'll be planting pumpkins this weekend. I want a decent harvest this year :)

      Delete
  6. what kind of pumpkin is that ? not one we have in oz .......is it a butternut type or hard skin?
    I dont plant frost sensitive things unti late sept

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa - Welcome :)

    Unfortunately, I do not know the name of the pumpkin, but it is a hard skinned variety. One of the locals told me that I should plant pumpkins in mid- to late August - I'm going to try that this year. I planted my pumpkins far too late last year... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.