"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Saturday 11 November 2017

Less waste, no landfill

My mission in 2018 is to become single use anything free.  I passionately hate single use plastic - in all it's forms.

Back in September 2017 I posted this pic with the question "Does anyone know their purpose...?"  Mum was the only one who came close with her comment: "Not a clue apart from wraps for sandwiches."
Cotton fabric and grated bees wax - sourced locally.
What is depicted in that photo (above) is some cotton fabric, and some locally sourced grated wax (shown here in a single use plastic bag 😞.  You see how insidiously it creeps into the home...?) 
Different sized pieces of fabric
The wax is, with the assistance of a cool iron, melted onto the fabric.
A piece of waxed wrap easily covers freshly baked goods from
 my bread machine
As kitchen towels were disappointing in their effectiveness for keeping freshly baked bread fresh for long, I have made various size wraps and have ensured that there is at least one large enough to adequately enclose my homemade bread / cakes from my bread machine.  
The addition of some spare buttons allows me to secure
  the wrap round my loaves

After 37 years of marriage (on 1st November) I have plenty of "spare" buttons so I have sewn a button on two opposite ends, and wrapped some string (which is easily replaceable as, and when, it becomes tatty) around them.  That ensures that the wrap won't open and holds as close a seal as possible.  
I have, over a year, purchased a number of different sized
 sealable containers in which to store leftovers in the fridge.
 These are just some of them...
I'm one happy little puppy.  Having sucessfully ditched single use plastic cling-wrap and bags for my lidded glass containers, I now have the means to cover freshly made sandwhiches, bowls of left overs, freshly baked goods and even half avocado's, lemons, etc. with an hygienic, sealed warp.

Cleaning is simple - merely wash in cool water, or wipe with a damp cloth.

My next mission?  Eliminating aluminium foil from this house...  (Christmas roasts, garlic bread, etc.)

18 comments:

  1. Ooh, well done me for being nearly close. I do so hate throwing things away and chucking away plastic in any shape or form worries me as it will not decay and return to the earth for a very long time. Well done you for doing something about it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like a good thing to try. We try not to waste much here, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mum - Truth be told you got it spot on ;) Did you mean "waxed" wraps for sandwiches?? Yeah, though we have a recycling depot near enough, there are some plastics which don't qualify...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry - Single use anything only makes the manufactures wealthy. What it does for this planet is only negative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary, I think I'll need to have a think in my home :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shirley - Thank you :D Glad to have inspired you... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog. Have a look at Bea Johnson's website Zero waste home. Also Colleen Black has started a FB group Zero waste South Africa. Lots of tips and tricks. Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eleanor - Welcome, and thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

    Thank you for the suggestions - I know of Bea Johnston and also already belong to Zero Waste South Africa on FB ;) One is NEVER too old to learn...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that idea!!! So is the wax melted onto both sides? I'm going to have to google that. Thank you for this and yes, I "hear you" in my head all the time at the store. Keep inspiring! Even a ripple can eventually create a wave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1st Man - No need to add wax to both sides as it is absorbed by the cotton fabric as the wax melts.

    Oi - don't like the thought that I'm in your head - except, of course, if it's helping to save this planet... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good idea. Thanks. We have replaced the plastic bags at stores by using cloth bags we take with us. This will be great in the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're very welcome Marlin. Well done on ditching plastic shopping bags. These work a treat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am right there with you in hating plastic! I find jars work well for most leftovers except breads and baked goods. I have re-used, and re-used, and re-used my ancient plastic zip-bags to the point where I finally need something new and don't want to buy those again! I've seen the waxed cloth wraps and love your addition of buttons. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leigh - I re-use glass jars also, but find that the lids aren't as long lasting - especially when they come into contact with anything acidic like vinegar.

    The buttons - after 37 years of marriage I have PLENTY of spare buttons :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never thought of putting buttons on them! Thank you for this idea! I have so many buttons saved from my mother and my husbands mother and grandmother that I will never use all of them in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rocky Springs Farm - Ditto. Yeah, the buttons work a treat and certainly help to keep the wax wrap firmly closed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dani if you add powdered pine resin to the wax and melt it onto the fabric in an oven on low heat, the wraps are a little more clingy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jane Allan - Welcome - and thank you for taling the time to leave a comment.

    Powdered pine resin sounds interesting. Where does one get it?

    P.S. Care to share your blog? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.