Wow - we only meant to go for Saturday and Sunday, but instead we had another unplanned four day weekend - but we had to get finished LOL
True to form it was blowing a gale as we started to erect the shade cloth roof. But, working from the wind direction made the process easier - the wind just spread the cloth out over the structure - the hardest thing was keep it from blowing away - into the neighbours land...
|Fighting the wind to erect the roof...|
Then came the door... Bear in mind that RMan is not a carpenter, of any sorts. In fact I'd say he's more of a 'reluctant' handyman. But what he has created is absolutely, ruddy marvellous!
|Measuring for the door|
We have left the excess shadecloth at the base of the structure. Behind it, and under the lowest wooden cross brace I have jammed in rocks of all shapes and sizes. In front of that is the excess shadecloth which has been wrapped in long (pretty heavy) gumpoles - the "extra" we ordered and didn't use. This will hopefully prevent snakes from gaining access to the cooler interior - and boy -it's much, much cooler in there! Eventually, we will dig a trench around the structure and bury the surplus shadecloth - that should make it impervious to snakes / slugs / etc. It will be wonderful to be able to grow veggies without the need of any kind of pesticide. Am I being too optimistic? I hope not. There is no reason why anything should gain access to the interior. Certainly no flies, beetles, moths, locusts, grasshoppers or snakes. Slugs, I'm not sure. We'll have to wait and see...
|A perfect door :) We still need to add a lock to|
prevent uninvited visitors from helping themselves
and to stop the door from blowing in or outwards
in high wind. For now it's secured with a piece
of wire LOL
Finally, it was time to install the porous pipe... But that I'll tell you about in my next posting.
All in all, beating the wind, 33oC (92oF) temperature, and my, in comparison, pathetic assistance, we finally completed everything by 5.00pm yesterday. Driving back to town exhausted by physical effort and from the draining heat we were both elated and happy. Finally - my shadecloth veggie patch is finished.
Thanks RMan - I'm blown away. And I reckon it's fantastic :)