"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Saturday 23 September 2017

This - and that

During winter I miss the cruch and taste of fresh lettuce, tomatoes etc so I make a point of growing seed sprouts.
Seed selection for sprouting
Sprouts - day 4
They certainly fullfil the "fresh" requirement, and yet there is something missing.  Perhaps it is the kiss of sunshine?  The waft of a fresh breeze across them?  The occasional nibble by a snail?
Beetroot micro greens
I think I have overcome that shortfall.  My latest "need" is micro greens.  They also have another name - elfin vegetables.  Isn't that cute, and doesn't the name conjure up images of little fairy people wandering through your veggie patch 😊
Cress micro greens
Similar to sprouts, micro greens are sprouted seeds but they are germinated in soil and are eaten when they are 10 - 14 days old - when they have their 2nd set of leaves.  After actual sprouts, they are the quickest food crop any one can grow - even urban gardeners.  The are even more of a powerhouse of nutrients, and certainly give me that crunchy kick.
Kale micro greens - don;t you love the purple stems
I love the different shapes textures and colours - of the stems or of the leaves.
Mustard micro greens
Sprinkled in a salad, or just as they are on a slice of fresh homemade buttered bread.
Pointed leaves - spinach micro greens
I just can't get enough.  The snails, too, can't get enough...

But, on to other things.

I was approached by a journalist a few weeks ago.  She asked whether I would be interested in sharing some info on recycling / zero waste.

As a pic of me was required (which didn't please me) to accompany the article, but is apparently protocol in these types of articles, after chatting with RMan, I decided I'd give it a go.
Green Granny Guide ðŸ˜‚
A friend in Cape Town saw the article in the weekend paper and sent a pic of it through to me.

I never expected a full page article.  And I know that space is limited.  But, there is so much info that was omitted.  My fresh produce bags for one.  And, this...
Does anyone know their purpose...?

5 comments:

  1. Not a clue apart from wraps for sandwiches. I love the term elfin greens.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo hoo! Congrats on your article. We sprout lots in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sol - big surprise to me too :)

      Have you tried micro greens?

      Delete
    2. Ive not really been bothered with growing much for a few years as we were renovating the previous house... we will be on it this year growing as much as possible

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.