"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Thursday 20 June 2013

Thought for Thursday 2

Here are some more wise words from TUT:

"Sometimes, Dani, when circumstances or disappointments bump you off track, it's the beginning of an even bigger dream coming true, that could not have come true on the track you were on."


It's good to have a reminder that "our" way / needs / desires aren't necessarily what our path forward in life is all about.  So much today involves instant gratification.  We don't know everything, and we certainly can't totally control what will, or will not, happen in our lives - we can help - but we can't dictate.  I sometimes battle with the time frame, but do trust the good Lord to steer me in the direction he wants me to go, even though, often, I can't see the fire for the smoke.


Without the (subject) pun, my Dover stove / Nordica Rosa episode is a prime example of that - I was so disappointed (and truthfully, panicky for how were we going to keep warm in winter) that the Dover didn't work for us, but something better was in store, and all it took was patience :)  The same applied to our long drawn out town house sale - it took forever, but boy, it was worth waiting for, because it made our dream of relocating to our smallholding and living off-grid finally came true.
Trini Lopez sang in the 60's:
"Lemon tree, very pretty, and the lemon flower

is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat"
- unless you make lemonade LOL
So, the (albeit late) conclusion I have come to is that when life gives you lemons, make lemonade, while you wait for the rest of the harvest to come in :)

2 comments:

  1. Well while your making that lemonade, tell us all about Rman's love affair with that Tractor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riverhauler - Officially, Welcome :) Yu became a follower ages ago, but I don't recall you leaving a comment before - thanks :)

      RMan and his red tractor.... patience - more news is coming up shortly LOL

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.