This - which fills our earth, air and water with pollutants?
|An example of the visible result of fracking on|
the land and the environment - below ground -
you don't want to see, or know.
|The SKA radio telescope|
image source: 21stcentury.blogspot
If we are given the honour of hosting the SKA (Square Kilometer Array) radio telescope - the world's largest telescope - it will provide hundreds of millions in revenue for the country. Hundred of millions of clean, greener revenue. And, best of all, the site integrity is guaranteed.
South Africa is the ultimate site for the SKA
- Our superb radio-quiet environment is legally protected
- We offer the best value; most affordable option and maximum return on investment
- We have excellent infrastructure already in place
- Our climate and altitude match the SKA requirements perfectly
- Our industries and expertise are world-class
- We've proven we can do it - KAT-7 telescope already in place and working
- Our innovative, cutting-edge pathfinder - 64-dish MeerKAT - is under construction
- South Africa's government is totally committed to the SKA
- We have the full support of our African partners
- We have partners around the globe
- We are developing future capacity across the continent
- Our history of leading astronomy research goes back more than 200 years
Hosting the SKA will allow this country the opportunity of preserving the historical and anthropological specimens of the site for future generations. Bursaries and scholarships are on offer. And it will generate genuine local employment, and the sorely needed return / influx, and retention, of a highly skilled workforce.
Other benefits of the proposed SKA South Africa site include:
- Low levels of radio frequency interference and certainty of future radio quiet zone
- Very little light pollution*
- Basic infrastructure of roads, electricity and communication in place
- Ideal geographical location, sky coverage and topography
- Safe and stable area with very few people and no conflicting economic activities*
- Required land, labour and services available and very affordable
- Excellent academic infrastructure and support SKA science and technology
- The astronomical "richness of the southern skies and strong tradition of astronomy
And, furthermore, it will not only benefit this country, but Africa as a whole, for the array will be scattered over thousands of kilometers.
But - seems like our government is busy, yet again. For they want it all.
"Hosting the SKA will underscore Africa's capability in science and innovation... " says South African President Jacob Zuma.
Unfortunately, it's one or the other. SKA or fracking? And I'm talking to all you guys in "power" - all those elected officials who now need to prove they are worthy of holding those positions.
|The distance between the proposed core of the SKA|
and the "Treasure the Karoo"
anti-fracking action group - 255kms!
Can you look to the future - long term - or is your shortsightedness going to be financially motivated?
Do the right thing. For the sake of this planet, and for all our children's children...
... DO the right thing.
... DO the right thing.