"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Monday 4 October 2010

Bird bath or shower?

I was cleaning the family’s muddy footprints off the kitchen floor after a rain shower last week when I happened to glance out of the window.

There, standing in the gentle drizzle and in the middle of a puddle of water, stood a Cape Rock Pigeon. I say stood, but it was actually squatting in the puddle. As I watched it, it suddenly raised one wing and held it aloft for approximately 30 – 60 seconds.

 





I was dumbfounded – wondering what the pigeon was doing. Had it hurt is wing?  How was I going to catch it to take it to the Bird Park?  What if, in so doing, I hurt it's wing further?

As I continued to gaze at it, hesitating, Lo! and Behold! it raised the other wing.



The pigeon continued to lift alternate wings for about 10 minutes until it proceeded to finally have a bird bath in the puddle with much splashing and flapping of wings.

Finally finished, it walked out of the puddle and preened itself before flying off to the nearest tree.





The question remains - is this a modern pigeon who prefers to take a shower to a bath – or has the pigeon been watching too many humans taking an outside shower au naturel?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is just too precious! What a delight you captured here. Hmmm...maybe the pigeon is soaking its feet whilst showering? ;-) Thanks for the smiles!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.