"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Tuesday 19 May 2015

Mother Nature

Please - take just 1.58 minutes to watch, and listen to this.  I did, and I am humbled.  Julia Robert's voice adds a powerful emphasis to these words which I have transcribed below...



http://natureisspeaking.org/mothernature.html


"Some call me nature
Others call me "Mother Nature".

I'e been here for over 4.5 billion years - 22,500 times longer than you.

I don't really need people.
But, people need me.
Yes, your future depends on me.

When I thrive,
You thrive.
When I falter,
you falter.
Or worse.

But I've been here for eons.
I have fed species greater than you.
And I have starved species greater than you.

My oceans.

My soil.

My flowing streams.

My forests.

They all can take you.
Or leave you.

How you choose to live each day,
Whether you choose to regard, or disregard me,
doesn't really matter to me.

One way.

Or the other.

Your actions will determine your fate.
Not mine.

I am nature.
I will go on.

I am prepared to evolve.

Are you."

13 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad you transcribed---because my CRUDDY internet won't load.
    Excellent excellent excellent.
    And a lot of folks need to wake up and realize how very much we DO NEED nature!
    Have a great week, Dani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue - Such a pity you can't hear it. Julia Robert's adds so much to the words...

      Delete
  2. Dani, love - i am not a big fan of Julia so i didn't listen to it, just read it several times. it's so beautiful and so sad all at the same time. we as humanity have to start paying attention and learning to live with Mother Nature instead of against her. you are a maverick in this and i am always glad to come here and leave wanting to be just a little bit better. thanks Dani!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kymber - That's a pity, she really did add to the words.

      kym, you're a treat for me too - in more ways that you realize ;)

      Delete
  3. Out here in the sticks our internet connection makes it hard to watch videos, so I second the "thank you" for the transcription. It is wonderful. I often hear people say things like, "We're destroying the planet" or "We have to save the planet." But the truth is that the planet is going to be just fine. Nature will adapt and respond to whatever mess we make. We may very well be destroying humanity, but we can't destroy nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - I'm glad you got to share it, but as I said to kymber and Sue, hearing the inflections that Julia Roberts put to some the words opens up a whole new appreciation too.

      Delete
  4. 2nd that to Dani.I think living the way we do one learns that you can live with so much less but man keeps striving to acquire so much more, and to the detriment of fellow man. Yip nature will always go on in one form or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AB - "Gaining possessions" gives but fleeting gratification. Gaining appreciation for this planet and the absolute wonder of Mother Nature - now that is worth striving for :)

      Delete
  5. My boss of twenty years , in the oil and gas business, used to say "Earth First! We can exploit the other planets later." He had a big drill bit in his office that had been gold plated. It had a plaque on it that said "The Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules."

    This guy didn't care one iota what the consequences were as long as he made money. He thought fracking was the greatest thing on earth and if it killed livestock, caused methane to come out of peoples water taps, and caused earthquakes none of that mattered. When I see the advertisements on tv by oil companies like BP, where they are saying how they love the environment and take great steps to protect it, I remember that the upper echelons of those companies are all people like my old boss. There's a certain irony in the fact that just as the government is getting ready to issue drilling permits to Shell for the arctic waters off Alaska, a bad oil spill happens in California, land of the beautiful people. The same thing will happen in Alaska if they let them drill there. It's guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry - There is only so much that Mother Nature can give and to satisfy their greed. Man is slowing learning that. Their greed will take on other aspects though - and probably on other planets in the future.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.