"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Tuesday 27 May 2014

Off grid cooking

I'm loving the cooler weather we're having.  And, I don't think it is my English roots which is causing this  LOL

Don't get me wrong, I love using my solar oven, in conjunction (when required) with our two plate gas stove from our old caravan.
Our re-purposed caravan
stove - we use the top two
plates and the grill, but
have never used the oven as
it apparentlty chews LP gas
like a box of chocolates in the
hands of two young'uns:)
So, the oven doubles up as
my mouse free bread bin
But, both of those are limited.  Firstly, by the weather, and secondly by the amount I can cook at any given time - normally two pots full of food in / on either.

During winter, when it's pouring down with rain, and using the Rosie, a whole new world of cooking opens up.

This is the use to which I put the Rosie last week...
Clockwise from the top:
Hot water for washing up (for
perspective in a 10 litre pot),
jars and lids being sterilized for the granadilla jam
busy being prepared in the centre pot,
the kettle (which is permanently on the boil),
chicken pieces being boiled for a hearty chicken soup
the next evening, home-grown butternut,
and, on the very left, there is a pot of rice cooking. 

The Rosie accomodated 6 pots and the kettle...plus in the oven I roasted chicken pieces and made bread rolls.
Chicken pieces roasting in my Rosie - the rolls
went it later...:)
...plus in the oven I roasted chicken pieces and made bread rolls.

Don't forget the hidden benefit.  Whilst all this is going on, our home was also being heated - to a very comfortable temperature :)

Now, considering that all of this used only 12 pieces of wood in total, I call that an economical way of cooking food whilst heating our home.

22 comments:

  1. I think Rosie is not only efficient, but pretty darn beautiful as well. I'd LOVE to have something like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue - She is exquisite LOL All RMan's choosing - I was going to go for a plainer, cheaper model, but he didn't think it looked "farmy" enough. Thank goodness, I am besotted with her :)

      Delete
  2. Wow I love your woodstove! Ours is smaller, with the oven below the firebox, but is still plenty big enough to cook everything in winter, just a shame that we are having such a warm autumn, we haven't had it fired up much yet this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farmer Liz - We have had a few days which weren't really cold enough, but any excuse is good enough to fire her up :)

      Delete
  3. That stove is just lovely & it does double duty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DFW -That was exactly my arguement to RMan when it was pleading time... lol

      Delete
  4. I'm warm, cozy and full already.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your stove better than ours. Ours is a replica of an 1890's kitchen stove. It's practical but it doesn't have the cheery glass plate that lets you see the fire. We couldn't use it in summer if the power went out as the heat would drive us all out of the building. Our gas powered stove is our primary, but if we ran out of propane it would be the wood burner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry - She is magnificent. RMan was most insistent that he had to see the flames - looking at fire burning always makes one feel warmer somehow.

      Yeah, we can't use ours in summer either... :(

      Delete
  6. Dani - in my sternest voice, i repeat - SHOW PICS OF THE FOOD PLATED!!!!

    i love your stove. do you think it would cost alot to ship it to me? i'll send you a dozen lobster in return - bahahahahah!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oi - kymber is writing to me in UPPER CASE - you are being stern, aren't you...?

      LOL

      Yeah, kymber, plenty, plenty moola to ship to you. Sorry.

      Delete
  7. LOVE ROSIE! now there's a sight for sore eyes. where did you get her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magda - Thaks :) You can get them from Fire & Gas in Somerset West. Fernando is the person to speak to - tell him I gave you his name :)

      Delete
  8. Once upon a time fires and stoves served the dual purpose of cooking food and warming a home. How rare that is these days.
    That's a beautiful stove and some mighty fine looking meals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - Those were the (sensible) days, weren't they. Addmittedly, not that practical in the heat of summer, but a lot friendlier on the environment - and our purses :)

      Delete
  9. Great post, Dani. You make an excellent point about the adaptability of weather related cooking. That goes hand in hand with eating what we produce ourselves and the need for flexibility. Living close to the land is a different lifestyle. One I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - Thanks. Oh, no, we wouldn't trade it either... ;)

      Delete
  10. Nothing like coordinating to make the most of your effort! That's a beautiful stove, and I agree about the glass front. My little woodstove would have considerably less with a solid iron door, but I've never been sorry I ponied up for the glass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinn - It must be my (ancient) Scottish roots - why waste anything - even stove top space LOL

      Yeah, the visual flames certainly add to the ambience, and the feeling of warmth.

      Delete
  11. I have this on my wish list on amazon... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nordica-Rosa-Kitchen-Wood-Stove/dp/B00E3BBFS8

    do you think someone will buy it for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sol - Wow - that is cheaper than I paid for it. But there again, I guess that transport to SA plus the distributors mark-up make up the difference.

      I hope someone buys it for you :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.