|Total tomato harvest this season...|
This is all I have harvested in tomatoes this season - as you all know the mice have enjoyed a right royal feast on my behalf. But, it would appear that I have been stupidly aiding and abetting their crimes. My kitchen waste compost bin has holes on the side which are perfectly sized for a mouse to enter through, in order to partake of each days scraps. And I had the compost bin situated too near to my shadecloth veggie house.
After giving a lot of thought to the mouse debacle, I decided the time was ripe - after all what is the point of giving the field mice an extra source food in the compost heap?
Time was right?
A Worm Farm :)
And I have been wanting a worm farm for ages.
But the prices of the worm farms online is scandalous! Anything from R600.00 - R995.00 - for plastic containers?!? And excluding transport / delivery of anything from R200.00 - R350.00
Why a worm farm? Well, I have read and heard that worm castings are excellent for the garden and "are the result when compost or organic matter has been digested and worked by worms." In other words vermicompost. And worm tea is basically a potent compost tea. A worm farm is virtually odourless and all it requires is protection from the elements - sun, wind, frost, snow and rain.
So, it was time to get myself into gear.
Plan # 1:
|The recycled bath would've made a perfect - large|
- worm farm
|I allowed for drainage of rain water underneath|
by layering stone below the bath
Plan # 2:
So, with RMan's help I decided to make my own worm farm.
We purchased three black storage boxes with lids.
|Cool - even the box is made of recycled material,|
or is 100% recyclable
|RMan drilled a border of ventilation holes|
around the top of the top two containers
|Ventilation holes on the base, as well as the|
means to collect their castings in the lower
|We added a tap to allow us to drain off the worm tea|
Finally, I shredded our weekly newspaper, soaked it in water, and then layered the bottom of the middle bucket / box with that.
|Shredded damp newspaper - perfect|
bedding for the worms
|A cardboard bed cover - apparently worms|
|Wizzard Worms in KwaZulu Natal sent|
the worms all wrapped up in shredded paper
and safely ensconsed inside this cardboard
box. After removing the label and tape, I added
the box to the worms inside the worm farm
|More than 1000 worms have found a new home|
Total cost of producing the worm farm unit:
3 X R99.89 = ZAR299.67 being the cost of the three black boxes from the Co-Op - and they threw in the tap for free :)
Happy days :)
And - the added bonus - the local field mice have been thwarted from enjoying my kitchen scraps.
Disclaimer: Wizzard Worms were not aware that I was going to feature them on this blog posting. I ordered, and paid for, my worms using their order page.