"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Friday 20 July 2012

Sunrise, sunset...

I can't get enough of them.  Our town house was situated in the outskirts of town, in a valley.  Because of the mountains either side of us, we never saw the sunrise, nor sunsets.  And here they are a daily occurrence.


And last week I had both within a day.


I have heard the saying:


"Red sky at morning, Shepherd's warning,
Red sky at night, Shepherd's delight."
7.45 a.m. and the sun is just lifting it's head
above the horizon
"I'm on my way, don't worry..."
There was nothing wrong with the day.  Blustery, with a wind that blew my washing horizontal on the washing, and strong enough to blow each and every crease out of it.  Which is just as well, as I don't do ironing - ever!  How did the wind know that? :)
Tie your hair up, it's too windy to let it
hang loose today...
Sunset on Wednesday - the kind that songs are written about, and which poet's can more aptly describe than I ever could.
Sunset - and all is well with the world...
That was Wednesday the 11th July 2012.  Friday would turn out to be a little bit more than even I could've imagined from the exquisite sunrise and sunset that I had just had the privilege and pleasure of watching...

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Glad you have the perfect spot to enjoy them.
    And what is it about laundry hanging out that always makes me smile?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Sunsets always give me delight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple. So glad that you can enjoy the sun's rise and sets from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are lovely. I always miss the sunrises and sunsets when I leave this area also. Thank you for posting. There is something so satisfying about having the start of the day and the end of it demarkated for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue - I love it too, as well as the lovely fresh smell that results from it being allowed to hang in the sun all day :)

    Joyful - LOL they make me joyful :)

    tami - So am I - another welcome gift from Mother Nature :)

    Jane - And demarcated in such a special way too. After all those that I've missed for the past 20 years in our town house, I'll never take one of them for granted again... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful .. and, yes, it's amazing how laundry hung on the line magically loses it's wrinkles :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are as lucky as you when it comes to sunrises and sunsets. God does indeed provide us beautiful paintings.....

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's SO beautiful. I miss seeing mountains. It's rather 'flat' here. Welcome HOME! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great. Reminds me of sunrises and sunsets in Terlingua.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mrs Mac - God made us a beautiful planet, didn't he :) Yup - love the Wind in the Washing :)

    Gill - The best paintings in the world :)

    1st Man - I didn't know what I was missing, but now I do :)

    David - Yeah - I've seen some of them. They are exquisite too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.