"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Moving chaos...

The reputable company we contacted to move our possessions charges less for goods collected before the 24th or after the 6th of the month - 25% less.  So - they're arriving tomorrow morning at 6.30 a.m. to collect everything in order to place it in storage in the nearby town.


This is a peek at the chaos...
Pot plants everywhere...
The last load of pot plants from the garden - I'd hate to know what the plants have cost us over the years - what with fertilizer, water, compost, mulch, etc.  Not to mention the pots.  So, they are definitely coming with...
Will this bath be my herb garden, or
my worm composting bin...?
Every square inch of the top patio is filled
with pot plants, and we've already taken a
load to the farm...  Reckon half the truck
is going to be for pot plants only
Inside the house there is not a single doorway, passage or room which does not contain boxes of some shape and size.  So far I have 75 boxes on the inventory list, and the last packing I have to do is to empty out the food from the kitchen cupboards.  It really is a case of squeezing your way round the house at the moment.

RMan got involved in taking some stuff to the 2nd hand store this morning - his de-cluttering attributes stink! Half the items I had piled up were "reclaimed"!  That's why, I reckon, that job has got to be left to the womenfolk!  No emotion, just pure commonsense.  If we haven't used it in the last year, and it is powered by electricity, then it's got to go!  Popcorn makers, electric frying pans, fan heaters, VHS machine(who has those tapes anymore?)...  What the heck?  But, I still have time (next week) to be sneaky... LOL
Boxes - everywhere!
I've even managed to empty, defrost and clean the small bar fridge, the chest freezer and the large 130watt LG fridge, as well as the dishwasher.  The small bar fridge and the washing machine will have to go on our trailer with us next week - heck, I've got a ton of curtains to wash before they're packed.
Spring cleaned and ready to go into
storage until we have the improved
solar power system up and running
at full tilt
Reckon the TV, mattress (without the bed base), washing machine, small bar fridge, gas stove with the kettle and a pot or two and and a couple of plates, knives, forks and mugs is all that's going to be left in the house for the next week.  It's going to seem strange :)


One positive I hadn't really thought of that has come out of all of this - all the electrical goods (fridge, freezer, washing machine, etc) are now going to be in a pristine condition again - what a lovely feeling.  Nothing like a good clean out to make me feel like I've accomplished something worthwhile - whether it's equipment, cupboards or just plain de-cluttering :)


We have found premises for the business - so that has to be moved next week too.


This will be my last post before we're on the farm permanently - so I'll see you all next month :)

6 comments:

  1. SM is a pack rat. The only time I've been able to do a true "purge" has been when we've moved. The last time was moving to NC and I was in Ohio packing up. What JOY to go through things and toss them. Once moved in and unpacked SM would say "Where's this or that?" I'd tell him to look somewhere for it knowing full well that I'd already tossed it. Whaa Haaa Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tami - Again - the similarity between SM and RMan - scary!

      Yeah, will have to work a trick or two next week LOL

      Delete
  2. Hi Dani, Ooooh! I'm so excited for you! Wow - tomorrow and you'll be there! Your family living near you soon,it couldn't be better. You must be exhausted though. Imagine having to move the office next week when all you will want to be doing is sorting things out at the farm! Still you are so close now to the point where you can sit and relax and enjoy your new lives.

    I will be thinking of you. All the best for 'The Move'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda - I think excitement will happen the week of 1 July - at the moment I'm working on automation LOL

      Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Best of luck, Dani!
    I know the chaos right now is terrible, but YAY--you're going to be done soon and it's going to be wonderful.
    (and I do love a good clean-out too!--one of the advantages of moving-LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue - Thanks :) Yeah - we'll be done by the end of September, when, hopefully, phase 2 of the building is complete and we can get our stuff out of storage and I can make the house a home :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.