"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Friday 3 February 2012

Water from the air

You may of heard about Whissons Windmill?  It was invented in 2007, but as yet appears to have got no further off the ground.  


Here is the latest invention which won the £10 000 the prize at the 2011 James Dyson Awards.  It is called the Airdrop.


Both work on the principle of drawing water from the air
Click here to watch this video
Or here for this one...
The principle of this latest low tech prototype invention is that "dry" air is sucked through the small wind turbine opening.  It travels through an underground copper pipe filled with copper bearing balls (for more surface area) causing cooling of the air to take place.  This cooling forms moisture which is captured.  The small solar panel at the top of the unit powers a battery operated pump which delivers the water to the roots of plants.
For more information please go to:
http://www.treehugger.com/clean-technology/
airdrop-design-pulls-water-air-to-irrigate-deserts.html
Apparently, it's perfect for farmers in rural areas.  Perfect for us, and for The Ford Falcon Guy and John too :)


Clever.  Very clever!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dani. Speaking of low tech, has the series "Tales from Green Valley" come to SA yet? I think you'd love it. http://www.petersommer.com/about-peter-sommer-travels/tales-from-the-green-valley/?/tv_tales.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EB - Yes, I have seen, and can highly recommend it : http://ecofootprintsa.blogspot.com/2010/11/days-of-yore.html

      Thanks for thinking of me :)

      Delete
  2. That's TOTALLY amazing! I can't watch the videos from work, but I will tonight. This is totally "geek alert" but it reminds me of the water farms in Star Wars on the desert planet. This guy is deserving of the award.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I can watch videos now (with my high speed internet) .. This is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Mac - Don't know what I'd do without my ADSL line - really miss it when I'm on the farm!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.