"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Monday 2 May 2011

Tomboy tools - a two-in-one gadget

We popped in at the local Co-Op on our way to the farm last weekend.

Walking through the doors I suddenly realised that I am a completely abnormal female.  My lungs start taking quick excited breaths, my heart beats faster and, apparently, even my cheeks become flushed with anticipation.

This is not occuring because I am headed for a full body massage / manicure / session with the hairdresser or trip to the jewellery store.  This is happening because I am walking into a hardware store.

I can spend hours and hours searching for the perfect shifting spanner, the ideal chain with which to support our counter top shelves, a paintbrush which is not likely to shed all it's hairs before I have completed the varnishing I am purchasing it for, or thingymijigs to prevent doors from destroying the plaster work as a door is whipped out of my hands by the wind, to name but a few of the recent items I've purchased.  I go into slow-motion planned four-wheeled drive mode as I walk through those doors - nothing must get in my way and my antipated enjoyment.  And, invariably, RMan has to drag me, protesting, from the store when he's finished his purchases...

And the Co-Op also has a small kitchware section at the entrance to the store.  By kitchenware, I mean 12 volt appliances, gas stove top kettles, etc.

And this happened to catch my eyes...


This was a two pack of knives - but not just any knives.  They are knives which fit inside a sharpening sheath - every time you slide the knife into the holder it is sharpened.

Two actions happening at the same time - storing the knife safely whilst simultaneously sharpening it.  Brilliant - because I am forever trying to slit my wrists when I use this sharpener:



You would not believe how sharp these knives are - and they will permanently be sharp - whenever I need them :-)  The are also a perfect weight - and are nicely balanced in the hand.


Can you see how thinly that cheese has been sliced?

The larger knife has vertical indentations on it - to prevent onion / tomato slices, etc sticking to the knife as you are slicing them.


The knives are made by Wiltshire and are designed in Australia.  The sheath has a locking mechansim built-in to prevent children from pulling out the extremely sharp knife and accidentally injuring themselves.

Now I realize that not everyone can make a trip to my local Co-Op so I have found online sources for these knives - go to : Want It All (local) or Amazon (international).  So you can chuck out your electric knife sharpener - you won't need it anymore LOL

And no - I did not pay that much for them...  The cost at my local Co-Op was about 15% what these two places are asking for them.

But I would pay that for them - for they are the kind of knives that my children or even MKid could / will inherit one day.

11 comments:

  1. I'm laughing to myself while reading your post. The hardware store is the only place I really enjoy shopping. Jewelry and clothing stores don't interest me a bit but turn me loose in a hardware store and I can do serious damage to the budget.

    I'll be checking Amazon for those knives. I hate sharpening knives. Thanks for sharing your excitement about your new purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea, a knife that sharpens itself...I love it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good knife is one of the most important tools there is. And I know how you feel in the co-op. We have a off-grid store that sells all non electric home and farm goods. We make the 3 hour drive a couple times a year and once we get there - get out of my way. It is the only 'store' that I can stand to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granny - welcome :-) My budget - also gets shot to hell in the hardware store LOL - and I feel NO guilt whatsoever!

    Mr H - it is a kitchen utensil to treasure forever!

    Jane - Usually RMan goes one way - and I the other - but he's normally ready to leave l-o-n-g before me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an excellent find. I love good knives. They are worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leigh - Agreed - I hate blunt knives, so to have one (or even two) which will always be sharp, heaven...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang, I was just typing a comment and hit something and "poof" it was gone. What a neat knife and sharpener you found. Sharp knives make all the difference in the world. Your post reminds me that I really do need to sharpen our knives. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emilysincrely - nothing worse than trying to prepare food (or even eat it) with blunt knives. And my old knife sharpener was an accident waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them... I also like the way the handle allows you enough room for chopping, so you dont smack your knuckles into your chopping board. NICE! find.

    ReplyDelete
  10. African Dream - And they're available at your possible future local Co-Op LOLOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked ur blogs very much and image formant is very helpful.


    Kitchen Equipment

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.