"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Thursday 12 May 2011

Simply put

I subscribe to a blog which had the following posting yesterday:

It is about a passionate, simple man - there is nothing fancy about him, and he has no larney academic qualifications, and no-one he has to impress...



...he is just passionate about the land he walks upon.If I compare him to the wealthiest / most infuential people in the Western World, I would rather meet, and spend time, with this man anyday.

To me, Oom (Uncle) Koos epitomises who we should be / should strive to be.

How far has man strayed from the genuine path he was set upon this earth to walk?  We have come to worship money instead of life, at the expense of...?

How sad.  How very, very sad.

8 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, greed and money will be the downfall of us all if we do not change our ways...and soon. After all, as the below quote so profoundly states, we cannot eat money.

    "Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indians

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr H - Hopefully we never get to that state...! Hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully shot video. The colors and images are amazing and the language...I could listen to that for days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr H - your comment got lost with bloggers maintenance hiccup - the Cree indian quote is beautiful, thought provoking, and hopefully, will never come to be...

    Tami - the language is Afrikaans - quite a gutteral language. Yes, the video is amazing - all aspects of it - photography, colours and message :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. fracking is disgusting but unfortunately only the people it effects seem to care.....the damage it does to the water supply is mindboggling

    ReplyDelete
  6. As he said - what grows on the earth is for us to use, but under the earth, belongs to the earth.

    How casual we are about wasting and polluting water. As if it didn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice message. Thank you for sharing it. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wickets - I know - it is scary - and MUST be prevented from happening here! I'm certainly going to do my damndest!

    Elephants Eye - simply... We have no life without water...

    Emily Sincerely - you're welcome :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.