"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Our home...


I can barely see to type through the tears coursing down from my eyes - and I am not normally an emotional person.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU
(update: this link is no longer available)
Everything on this planet is linked.  One thing provides something which the other depends on, without which it cannot survive.  Upon which it depends that the other treat it fairly, consciously and unselfishly.


We have forgotten how to take only that which we need.  To take and to not leave a scar on this planet.  A scar which indicates our greed.  Which indicates our brief time spent on this beautiful planet.


This movie (1 hour, 33 minutes and 18 seconds long), taken from the air, illustrates how minuscule humankind really is in the grand scheme of things.


How dare we damage this world the way we are doing?


20% of the worlds population consumes 80% of it's resources.  2% of the world's population holds 80% of it's wealth.  No matter how much the wealthy "donate" to charity / build a school, the damage they have done to the poorest can never be justified.  And the poorest, in most instances, have been working to make the rich richer, and to just barely survive themselves.


What has mankind become.  Generally, I would say, a monster.


The scars we leave behind will be the legacy - of eating of that apple in the Garden of Eden.  For we haven't just eaten, we have gorged ourselves.


I'm crying for this planet.  This wonderful, amazing, beautiful life-giving planet.


What are we waiting for - what will finally be the impetus that makes us change, and remember where we come from and who we are?


We are all linked - we have to help - not just each other, but this planet.

12 comments:

  1. Your right Dani, its greed and I feel that humans have a huge feeling of entitlement. Many times I have had people quote the bible that God put everything here on earth for us humans and even if it is damaged (I have a hard time getting these people to admit that) then God will restore it for us. How do you get the blind to see? It is very heart breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane - mass action will help the blind see!

    If we all buy local, refuse to buy chemical fertilizers, get rid of that 2nd or 3rd car, cut down on our consumption (of whatever - fuel / power, etc) to the bare minimum and start helping ourselves - that's a start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Dani, but "we all" won't do that. Some of us will do a lot but a lot will never do anything.
    We have 3 cars but...and there's the thing, there's always some reason we (I)use to justify why we (I) don't do more.

    Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb - welcome :-)

    We had two cars, until finances got tight, then I sold mine. Yes, I miss it, but it's not the end of my world.

    If everyone makes a single small change a day, they all add up. Can't help to try, can it? :-)

    And mass action does work - judging by what's happening in Northern Africa. If people demand better, and better is better, then better should be attainable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani, the key word here is greed and the greedy won't change. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do for or to greedy people that will help us. I'm afraid its too late to do much anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tffnguy - I cannot believe that - call me naive, but I have to believe that mankind, even the greedy ones, can see the bigger picture - hopefully, before it's not too late...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never understood why people want a 5000 sq. ft. house but they are everywhere. I don't want to clean anything that big personally. The energy required to heat/cool. I do not "get it". After living in the desert and realizing how precious water is I am amazed to go to "the real world". My sister-in-law leaves a faucet running because her cat likes fresh water. She doesn't pay her water bill so she doesn't care. They are everywhere. All I can do is change me and I am getting better at recycling and changing my way of life a little every day...now off to watch your movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frann - me neither. The smaller the better and the less dusty LOL

    Your sister-in-law needs to watch the movie too - big time!

    Your effort helps - no matter how small - they all add together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There you have it - she doesn't pay the water bill. It goes back to - if it costs nothing, it's worth nothing. Having a sliding tariff on water, electricity, a tax built in to the petrol/diesel price means the rich and selfish and greedy pay more. Carrot and stick, education and/or pay more.

    Remember when South Africa banned free plastic bags - and we had to pay for them. We still pay , but where is the recycling and employment which is supposed to use the price of a plastic bag?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elephant's Eye - yes, I've seen that syndrome at work, too - if you don't pay, you don't care. I've seen one of my neighbours, who was given trees for nothing, and a fireplace for nothing - he didn't care - the trees died of thirst, and the fireplace got stolen because he just left it lying outside in the garden.

    But, I also believe that free electricity is faulty - water - well, that's the most basic right, and human requirement and up to the 6kl / month I have no problem with that amount being free. But power - hell, they should be paying for it. Similarly, I also feel that if you use more electricity than is "normal", then you should be prepared to pay extra for it / the excessive use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make little changes all the time and I know I can still change more. Drives me crazy to see people waste (water, electric, food, etc). I am trying to eat as healthy and organic (and local or home grown as possible) but I will take left overs from a neighbor/friend because their family will just throw it away. The one things I hear over and over is "I don't have time" - meaning time to change anything they do that would save or be better. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emily - yes, frustrating excuses, I agree. For we know there is always time, they just have to be willing to spare it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.